Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Cross



So today at church the minister was doing the getting ready for communion talk. He was explaining how communion worked in the church we were in. He then looked up and said "Just as the cross signifies death, the communion table signifies life and death."

I really disagree with that. I believe the cross is a sign of life. I believe I understand what he was saying, or at least alluding to but I still disagree. He did not qualify the statement by saying "At that time" which I believe would have been appropriate. The Romans did use the cross as a way to kill thieves and it was a horrible, horrible way to die. But I do not believe that the cross is any longer a sign of death. It is empty. Therefore a sign of life.

Perhaps I am overthinking this or looking more into his comment then what he meant but there could have been non-believers in that church. And to give the impression that believers wear a cross around their neck and that the cross they wear as a sign of death. No. The cross I wear is a sign of life. A sign that the cross is empty and that he is no longer there. A reminder to me that I need to share the story of that amazing love.

I do not believe that the cross is a sign of death. It is a sign of life. A life that we should be striving to be like. Because that cross reminds us that our life will also be not ended in death but in life. Life eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment